Sunday, November 10, 2013

12. Transition

Just a brief post to let you know that we're in transition.

Dan and I flew out of Tete last night at 9:30 PM and arrived in Maputo at 11:10PM (side note:  African capitals are uncomfortable after midnight).  This morning, we took a chapa with our beloved Peace Corps bestie Jamie and arrived in our old training town, Namaacha.  

For the next week, the three of us will serve as the "PC Volunteers of the Week" and help out in the training of the newest volunteers.  We are now the veterans.  

Participation in training will allow us to carry out the following:

1.  Visit our host mother and host family (Ajuvencia's baby is nearly two years old!)
2.  Meet the newest generation of Peace Corps Volunteers AND our site replacements
3.  Finally take pictures of Namaacha.  I took very few when I lived here two years ago!

We've already met some of the new volunteers, and most of them already knew me by name. 

"I totally read your blog!"  They said.  "I read every single page of it!"

We're looking forward to this week of training, and especially to the big site announcement ceremony on Thursday. I feel so grateful and lucky to get to meet my replacements and to sit down with them in person.  What a satisfying and symmetrical end to our service.  I feel as if I've come full circle.  

But for now, for the first time in a long time, I am too exhausted to write.  I am overwrought and overcome with emotion.  So tonight, I am going to rest.  

Tomorrow starts our week at training!

Welcome back to civilization!  Eating a hamburger the size of my face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment