Wednesday, October 3, 2012

One Year

Dan and I have been living in Mozambique for one full year!  

These past twelve months have been, more than anything else, a time of discovery and tremendous personal growth.  Sometimes I feel like I am here just to observe-- to watch and to take in the things that I see.  

"I become a transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all..."  
 Ralph Waldo Emerson


Through watching, I have learned a great deal.  I have learned that-
  • Little boys and little girls are the same, all over the world
  • Mozambicans are very, very social and are rarely alone
  • This country is generally optimistic, cheerful, and full of hope

During this past year, I have also learned a lot about myself.  As an American girl living as a foreigner in a new country, I have started to see myself through the eyes of the people that I have met.

Let's take a look at the things that I have learned about myself and my country in the past year:


A Profile of Lisa Jo Spencer


Profile of Mozambique


It's been a big year:  a year of pictures, of friendships, and of challenges.  This is the year that I learned Portuguese.  This is the year that I learned how to be a teacher.  This is the year that I set out to change the world and I changed myself, instead.

Successes:

  • Learning Portuguese
  • Becoming well-known in the community
  • Getting published
  • Completing my first year as a teacher

Challenges:

  • Class discipline
  • Loneliness/Homesickness

Photos:  One Year in Mozambique


Finally, I'd like to close out with a few statistics.  It's hard to encapsulate an entire year in just one blog entry, but I hope that these numbers will help define the scope of my first year in Mozambique and paint a picture of my daily life.  Enjoy!  Here's to another twelve months in Africa.

Communication


In the Classroom


On the Home Front


And in Closing...

No comments:

Post a Comment